Subject: Re: Kernel configuration [2]
To: David Forbes <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/07/1998 12:15:33
On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, David Forbes wrote:
> To be fair, putting another name in is pretty trivial, but I've just got
> ls /sys/arch/*/conf/GENERIC piped to the rest of it for simplicity at the
> mo.  I haven't really checked which files should be used for the others.
> Since I've had another mail referring to this as well, I'll go and sort it
> now, although the selection of which file to use in place of GENERIC could
> be fairly arbitrary...

OTOH, just dropping an arch if there is no GENERIC file seems acceptable
to me ...

> The reason I was looking at ways of doing X was because someone else
> suggested it.  However, at the mo, of course, it's available to X and
> non-X alike (via lynx).  I'll look into the other interface methods soon.
> (Although I'm hoping to avoid programming in anything that requires a
> compiler ;-)  At the moment it's all just sh & awk.

Hum. :)
THe problem I see with the web-based approach is that you not only need
some http-server running, but also make that one do some things like
configuring, building and eventually even installing a kernel...
And to be honest, I wouldn't trust any httpd enough to give it that much
power. Besides that, the current approach using HTML is ok, of course.
Maybe we can just do this without a http server by defining some
extensions and programs to call when klicked on them - 'though this will
be difficult (if at all possible) with CGIs...

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>