Subject: Re: Greg Woods - please fix your mailer!
To: None <david@www.fundy.ca, skippy@macro.stanford.edu, seebs@plethora.net,>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/1998 20:12:59
     To minimise the amount of off-topic stuff, I'm going to tackle
all the responses at once.

On Jul 6, 10:24pm, David Maxwell wrote:
} On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 01:46:36PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > On Jul 6, 11:20am, Bill Studenmund wrote:
} > }
} > } Sorry to spam the list with this, but direct communications don't work.
} >
} >      Then you simply don't communicate with them.  Personally, I have
} > no time for people who's mailers are in violation of the RFC's;
} > especially, if it is a misguided attempt to block spam.
}
} ROTFL. I can see the reply to this one coming when Greg gets in....
}
} Greg is the primary maintainer for smail, and he is particularly fussy about
} following the RFCs strictly.

     Ask me how much I care.

} I expect the response to be something like:
}
} The RFCs specifically state that an MTA MUST NOT accept a message unless
} it can guarantee being able to return error messages. By using a From: address

     Really?!?  Would you care to quote the RFC in question and the
passage within it.  It is impossible to positively ascertain the
deliverability status of a message without actually trying to deliver
it.  Since there is no way to guarantee being able to return error
messages, then any RFC that said this would be wrong.  Not to mention
that even if you could deliver a message at time t, there's nothing to
say that the account won't be deleted at time t+1, so that when you
try to deliver an error report at time t+2, it will be undeliverable.

} with a host portion which has no MX, the mailer cannot be assured of its
} ability to return errors.

     MX records are not required, an A record is sufficient.
Furthermore, the existence of an MX record does not guarantee the
ability to return errors.

} P.S. The world would contain a lot less spam if everyone configured their
} DNS fully/properly and required things like this.

     This is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

}-- End of excerpt from David Maxwell