Subject: Re: NATM broken: atm needs-flag vs options NATM
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/1998 10:49:49
Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> why not just detect NFOO vs FOO conflicts when running config..
>
> i.e., if there's a defopt NFOO and a `foo needs-count' or `foo
> needs-flag', just complain about the conflict..

For developers this is probably fine, but this screws users.  Like in the
given example (assuming I'm remembering the original complaint correctly),
what happens when I want device "foo" but not "options FOO", assuming that
they aren't necessarily related?  Then again...maybe it doesn't.  What
does the "foo.h" file look like when the device isn't compiled in, and
what does the "opt_foo.h" file look like when the option isn't defined?

Still, I could imagine that there would be a case where simply detecting
conflicts isn't sufficient.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation