Subject: Re: NATM broken: atm needs-flag vs options NATM
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/1998 09:59:53
Matthias Drochner wrote:
> Excerpts from netbsd: 5-Jul-98 Re: NATM broken: atm needs-.. der
> Mouse@rodents.montre (636*)
>
> > NFSSERVER, NFSCLIENT, NULLFS, NFS_BOOT_RWSIZE.  I think reserving all
> > options beginning with N is..excessive.
>
> Agreed. As these "needs-flag" generated N<attribute>
> options are kind of system internal, I'd vote to give them
> a namespace separate from user-visible options.
> (prepend an underscore or "_FLAG_" or so)

Do you really want to have to go change every driver with the "needs-flag"
attribute and every port's conf.c, tho?  I realize this could be
automated, but still....

I think a general guideline of "no option can begin with an 'N' unless
it's extrememly unlikely to conflict with any current or future device
driver" might be better.  I mean, what's the likelihood of a driver being
named "ullfs" or "fsserver"? ;-)

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation