Subject: Re: FYI: more options defop'ted: DDB, network protocols, COMPAT_*
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/1998 16:26:22
[ On Sun, July 5, 1998 at 12:45:11 (-0700), Jonathan Stone wrote: ]
> Subject: FYI:  more options defop'ted: DDB, network protocols, COMPAT_*
>
> The upside is that all dependencies on these options in the kernel
> source are now caught in opt_*.h files.  It is now safe to change one
> of the above options and do a ``make depend'', not a "make clean".
> The .depend file and the automatically-generated opt*_.h files will
> ensure that all necessary recompiles get done.  A ``make clean'' is
> still safest, and that's still the recommended procedure.  But its'
> now a lot easier to, say, turn on DDB to find a specific problem.

Are not the opt_*.h files produced by "defopt file OPTION" always
created?  If so then is it necessary to run "make depend" after every
config?  I would expect that a "make depend" should only be necessary if
new sources are added to the Makefile, and if indeed all the opt_*.h
files always exist then a "make depend" should not be necessary when
only changing their contents (and of course their contents will only
change if an option they contain was changed).

It would be nice if options(4) mentioned which options were defopt'ed
and suggested hint about ``make depend'' in whichever way is correct.
Should I send-pr this suggestion to act as a reminder?  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>