Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: today's libc broken
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1998 08:17:05
Thus spake Jason Thorpe
> This is important to ANYONE who build libc after this morning's SUP,
> and has the libc w/ pread and pwrite (i.e. libc.so.12.29).
>
> REMOVE THIS SHARED LIBRARY!  I goofed, and didn't deal with the off_t
> padding properly.  I am fixing this right now.
>
> What you must do after this is fixed:
>
> 	(1) Build a new kernel and boot it, otherwise the fixed
> 	    libc.so.12.29 will not work!
>
> 	(2) Build a new libc.so.12.29, and install it... The fixed
> 	    libc.so.12.29 will not work with an old kernel!!
>
> I could change the system call numbers, but the window for brokenness
> is only a day.  I suspect not very many people will be affected by this.

Heh.  So that's why I was up all night.  Oh, well.  At least it's good
to know that I didn't screw up.

> If you are, I'm sorry, and I'll do what I can to help you if you get
> stuck (e.g. provide new libc.so.12.29 binaries for Alpha, SPARC, i386,
> and m68k).

If anyone can get it.  I found that both ftp and ftpd failed.

I found that deleting libc.so.12.29 caused it to use libc.so.12.28 (with
an annoying warning) which allowed me to build the new kernel and install
it.  I guess it would also allow ftp to work.