Subject: Re: trouble with gnu ar
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/01/1998 11:47:34
> On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Gordon W. Ross wrote:
>
> : Why is -Werror being used in the GNU code?
>
> "Because we can."  -Werror is used globally, but _-Wall_ is not.

Or, more precisely, "because it's been useful."

The pointer<->integer size-change warnings show up without -Wall, then
they are appropriate.  In general, on the alpha, every one of those
warnings needs to be inspected and fixed as if it's a bug, because a
non-trivial fraction of them are.  8-)

So, it's been useful in the past to have 'make' error about them, and
(when the code changes) continues to be useful.

chris