Subject: Re: CCD mirroring, bogus documentation (was Re: differential scsi controllers)
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 07/01/1998 18:47:04
On Wed, Jul 01, 1998 at 09:33:40AM -0600, Michael K. Sanders wrote:
> >It is known that CCD mirror doesn't work -- I even believe that Jason
> >was going to yank it out, because he believes his code isn't worth
> >fixing as is. We are now moving towards using RAIDframe for this, or
> >so I am told.
>
> I don't mean to be ungrateful or anything, but if things like this are
> "known", why aren't they documented somewhere?  Relying on some sort
> of collective consciousness of users/developers that "knows" about
> problems doesn't work very well sometimes. :)

I have seen several questions regarding the problems with unionfs.. and
every time the answer is something like "yeah, don't use it, it has
always been broken" ;-)  Now, I _thought_ ccd mirroring worked - I even
advertised it to some large site, but they didn't want to use it that
time (fortunately).

Maybe the kernel config file should have comments like

UNIONFS  # does not work!

because some of us may presume that things present in the config file
are expected to work... :-)

  -jm