Subject: Re: telnet problem
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/1998 16:45:00
[telnet BINARY negotiation]

Ken Hornstein writes:

>Hmmm .... I dunno.  I mean, if both sides support BINARY, then it's
>only a win, right?  Or perhaps I don't understand BINARY as well as
>I thought I did.  The only time that this is a loss that I can see
>is when people say they can do BINARY, but can't.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes.

I think it's a mistake for telnetd to _initiate_ the process which
turns on BINARY. It shouldn't do that unless the client asks for it,
or unless the user frobs the tty into a state where BINARY is more
appropriate.

(If only because it's busted a telnet client which used to work ;).

If the user asks for binary, sure, let telnetd go ahead.  But in the
absence of any mechanism for both sides to establish what "BINARY"
means, telnetd shouldn't be turning on BINARY, just off its own bat.