Subject: Re: How can I change kernel on boot floppy ?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/1998 12:12:33
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

> Chris Jones wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I have a 1.3.2 (i386) system and need temporerily -current boot floppy.
> > > The most simplier way should be to get 1.3.2 boot floppy and put
> > > there -current kernel instead of 1.3.2 one. How can I do that ?
> >
> > I've always done this:
> >
> > vnconfig -c vnd0 boot.fs
> > mount /dev/vnd0a /mnt
> > gzip -c < netbsd > /mnt/netbsd.gz
> > umount /mnt
> > vnconfig -u vnd0
> >
> > ...but there may be a slew of better methods.
>
> Would it be really that simple ? I thought that netbsd.gz
> on i386 N1.3.2 boot disk is more than just a kernel.

Oh; oops.  You're right; it has a disk image in it.  Seems like it's
somewhat complicated to create those.  The Makefiles in distrib show how
it's done, IIRC.

Chris

Chris Jones                                           cjones@math.montana.edu
           Mad scientist at large                     cjones@honors.montana.edu