Subject: RE: swap priority in fstab?
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scott.reynolds@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 06/29/1998 15:31:37
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Brad Salai wrote:

> At 12:13 PM -0600 6/29/98, Chris Jones wrote:
> >
> >There's a section in the swapctl man page called "SWAP OPTIONS".  It's
in
> >there.
> >
> >Where should it be documented?  Should it be documented in multiple
> >places?
>
> I think it should be mentioned in the fstab man page.

I understand the sentiment, but I disagree with the conclusion.  There are
a multitude of options for various file systems and swap configuration
that aren't mentioned in the fstab man page.  To be consistent, we'd have
to list them all, which would be a major pain (and not necessarily any
more clear).

As an alternative, let me suggest the following:

- Include an example fstab in the fstab(5) man page, preferably showing
how to use fs- (or swap-) specific options.

- Refer to the mount(8) and swapctl(8) man pages in the SEE ALSO section.

This should help direct attention to the appropriate man pages for
clarification.

--scott