Subject: README: library symbol collision problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1998 21:59:25
Hi folks...

On June 8, 1998, pw_scan() was erroneously moved out of libutil into
libc (the reason for doing so was to better support "secure" YP maps
in libc).  Because of the way this was done, an unfortunate symbol
collision problem creeped up.  I had 3 machines lose badly because of
this today.

I have fixed the problem by:

	- internal'izing pw_scan() in libc as __pw_scan() for libc's
	  internal use only.

	- add pw_scan() back to libutil (using .PATH and CPP magic)
	  and reverted its shlib version back to what it was before
	  this happened.

YOU MUST:

	- build and install a new libutil

	- build and install a new libc

	- rm /usr/lib/libutil.so.5*

	- REBUILD ALL PROGRAMS liked against libutil since June 8.
	  During this window, a few things will be broken.  I'm very
	  sorry about this, but there's nothing that can be done about
	  it.

This process fixed all of my systems, and made the old binaries that
badly broke work again.  Again, sorry about the lossage.  If you have
any problems, please post a message here, and I'll try and help you out.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 428 6939