Subject: Re: ISDN TA recommendations?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1998 21:50:18
In article <19980626151116.A1342@thebrain.conmicro.com>,
Jay Maynard  <jmaynard@phoenix.net> wrote:
> Me too. My computers have better things to do than low-level packet routing.

So do mine, which is why I use a dedicated PC running NetBSD as a router.

> Right Way. I personally use and recommend the Bay Networks Netgear RT328...
> for $289 from Micro Warehouse, it does everything you could possibly want,

Packet filtering? IPng? Be a DNS secondary? Stuff which hasn't been
invented yet? _Everything_?

My router's OS is much more likely to be around long-term, and I have
source to its OS. Also, I can get replacement parts more easily, and
have more upgrade options.

> has free 24x7 support, and free software updates for life.

For the life of the company, or the product line, whichever comes first.
I hope those free lifetime updates work out better than, say, the 5 year
warantees on Micropolis hard drives.  I have two of them, dead, with ~4
years left on the warantee.  Not that it does me any good now.

> using a plain old TA doesn't make much sense any more.

Unless you don't want to be tied to a closed, proprietary box. The only
downsides I see are a little more power and space consmption, and the
fast that presently, for most people, it means async only. I'm currently
willing to live with that in exchange for the flexibility.

--
Ty Sarna		"For many Americans, a season without hockey is
tsarna@endicor.com	like a Happy Meal without parsley." - Bob Costas