Subject: Re: Upgrade steps from 1.3 -> -current needed.
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/1998 17:38:28
On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 23:16:54 -0700 (PDT)  David Brownlee wrote:

> 	I'd like to put the steps for upgrading from 1.3.X to -current up
> 	on www.netbsd.org to give people a 'helping hand'.
>
>     Something along the lines of:
>
> 	cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config ;	make && make install
> 	cd /sys/arch/<arch>/conf ;	cp GENERIC MYCONF
> 	vi MYCONF # (make any changes you need)

This has got me thinking.  Upgrading always involves munging the GENERIC
config file to match what you have.  Is there some way we can do this
automagically by picking the options out of the currently running
kernel?  I'm not really sure where this is leading, but if something
like this was possible, upgrades (both to -current and to releases)
would be a lot easier...

Simon.