Subject: Upgrade steps from 1.3 -> -current needed.
To: (NetBSD/current-users Maillist) <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/1998 23:16:54
	I'd like to put the steps for upgrading from 1.3.X to -current up
	on www.netbsd.org to give people a 'helping hand'.

    Something along the lines of:

	cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config ;	make && make install
	cd /sys/arch/<arch>/conf ;	cp GENERIC MYCONF
	vi MYCONF # (make any changes you need)
	config MYCONF
	cd ../compile/MYCONF ; make
	mv /netbsd /onetbsd
	mv netbsd /

	reboot

	cd /usr/src/share/mk ; make install
	cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld ??????????
				   Its around here I think help is needed
	cd /usr/src ; make build

	The only 1.3 system I have here that I can take to -current is a
	vax, which would take some significant time each time around the
	'compile, change, try compile again' cycle.

	Has anyone recently moved to -current from 1.3.X, or is about to
	do so and can let me know any problems they hit?
	Otherwise I can take my sun back to 1.3 and update again, but even
	on a little IPX with NFS mounted /usr/src it'll take me a while -
	and someone out there _must_ be moving to -current :)

		David/absolute

             -=-  Sue me, screw me, walk right through me  -=-