Subject: Re: pkgsrc changes.
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com, tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/1998 11:00:00
[First, please let's take this to tech-pkg now that we have it :]

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com wrote:
> I'm wondering why we didn't try to make a SysV-compatible pkg* suite.
> I've just been given the task of actually _building_ packages on my
> Real Job[TM], and after having to write installation software from scratch,
> I cannot sufficiently emphasize the advantage of having a Real Software
> Installation suite.
>
> pkg{mk,add,rm} are nice.

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the SysV tools. I do know some
(well...) of the features of the tools we currently use, and I also know
quite some deficiencies. Getting some functional enhancements wouldn't
hurt, I guess, if the price is ok:

 - Is there a chance to make these tools binary compatible at pkg level,
   so pkgadd can add pkgs created by pkg_create (so users can go and
   install "old" pkgs)?
 - How well will these pkg tools integrate into our building process?
   What pre-requirements do they have? Is this our great chance to drop
   PLIST? :)
 - If you say you do this for for your Real Job, will we be able to use
   it? I.e. is it possible/acceptable for you to release that code under
   a BSD licence then

I dare saying that there's some interrest in this. :)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@netbsd.org>