Subject: Re: ARCHIVE, Python: errors
To: Simon J. Gerraty <mjacob@feral.com>
From: <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/1998 06:18:08
The 'st' driver does, in fact, seem to be missing the necessary bits
for accurately printing out the position of the tape and the status
of the drive.  This has been missing since inception.  I figured it
was one of those things-to-be-fixed-in-the-next-release but no-one
has arrived at actually fixing it yet.  I've looked at it and while
the tape-positioning thing looks do-able in practice, the error bits
vary enough between drives as to make it a bit daunting (although
since we have the drive and quirk tables, modifying them sufficiently
to handle the error bits ought to be easy enough; the trick is
ascertaining which bits are which on which drives...).

Is there an open PR on this?  I'll be glad to open one.  I'd consider
it a "serious" PR only because of how long it's been a problem, and
it'd be nice to be able to tell just where my tape is (file no: 1;
block no: 2294), etc.

				--*greywolf;