Subject: Re: SMP status?
To: Christopher J Mason <cmason+@CMU.EDU>
From: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/1998 19:10:53
Christopher J Mason wrote:

| [please cc responses to me as I'm not on this list, but read it infreq
| through a gateway.]
|
| I was wondering what the status of NetBSD SMP (symmetric
| multiprocessing) is.  I've seen the following page which seems to admit
| support under Linux and FreeBSD, but does not mention NetBSD.
|
| http://www.uruk.org/~erich/mps.html
|
| Is there a test/experimental kernel around?  a mailing list?  a project page?

I have a dual Pentium-100, currently running FreeBSD-3.0-SNAP, simply to
get the SMP support.

I am willing to test/debug SMP support for NetBSD, but I don't have much
technical information on the interrupt controllers and other SMP-specific
hardware, so I probably can't do much development unless someone points
me to a source.

Talking about SMP support, in order to test this without killing a good
FreeBSD machine, I am thinking of getting a ZIP drive or something similar.
Something I can boot a kernel and maybe userland from, with my source
tree coming in over NFS.  I've heard of the "click of death", so what do
people recommend in the 100MB removable area?