Subject: Re: Off-topic: Dumb IPNAT question
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/1998 18:23:03
On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Greg Earle wrote:

> However, I suspect there's no way to tell Netscape or Internet Exploder to use
> PASV instead of PORT commands, is there?  I still have an occasional need to
> boot the Mac into Allegro (MacOS) ...  Then again, I don't remember having
> this problem before, so maybe Netscape *does* use PASV mode by default ...

	Virtually all web browsers use passive ftp by default...

	As an aside - I've just installed 'wwwoffle' from pkgsrc which
	provides a _very_ nice small scale web/ftp proxy/cache, complete
	with lots of nice support for offline reading and automatic
	fetching of pages.

	Just install the package, add wwwoffle -online to ip-up and
	-offline to ip-down, set your proxy and away you go...

	Even more of a boon if you have multiple hosts at home and would
	rather they all shared the same cache..

		David/absolute

	 -=-  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger"  -=-