Subject: Re: 2G JAZ good idea?
To: Michael VanLoon <mvanloon@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@ox.mines.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1998 17:13:09
On 6 13, Michael VanLoon wrote:
> On the other hand, I've had two 1GB jaz drives for almost a year, and
> haven't had a single cartridge failure (except for one which has a
> sticky door), out of 8 cartridges.
>
> You haven't turned off write-verify have you?  I've found that to be
> quite important to reliable operation.  On the other hand, don't expect

  Nope.  I've never run the Jaz tools software--don't have DOS/Win.

  Oh, and now the 4th of my batch of 5 cartridges has just gone bad today.
That's an 80% failure rate (so far!)--not very good statistics.

> enabled.  They're still probably half as fast as a hard drive, which is
> pretty good for reliable media.

  Sorry, I have to disagree with that!  There's no way I could trust these
things for storage of anything that isn't duplicated elsewhere.