Subject: Re: Please make it stop..
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/11/1998 15:51:31
mellon@hoffman.vix.com (Ted Lemon) writes:
> >     2.)  Gateways:  Several sites provide local mail-to-news gateways
> > for the NetBSD lists, which both reduces the amount of work the list
> > servers have to do, and helps users to keep up with the high volume of
> > lists like current-users.  If we had a members-only policy, users at
> > these sites would not be able to post questions to any of our lists.
>
> Right.   This is where most of the spam comes from.   Shut 'em down.

Please explain.  I gateway all my mailing lists into my local news
server.  How does this increase spam?  Did the recent jesus-spam come
from a news gatway?  My logs show it as direct-dialup spam.  Most of
the stuff I see is mostly direct-dialup or relay-rape.

Jun 10 23:05:49 capsicum sendmail[7148]: XAA07148: from=<John@3.16>, size=0, class=0, pri=0, nrcpts=0, proto=SMTP, relay=houasc24-181.flash.net [209.30.69.181]
Jun 10 23:05:49 capsicum sendmail[7148]: XAA07148: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<wolfgang@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>, relay=houasc24-181.flash.net [209.30.69.181], reject=501 <wolfgang@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>... Sender domain must exist

Incidentlly this actually helps me reduce the bounces I get when a
mailing list is misconfigured.  Some mailing lists bounce
final-delivery errors to the original envelope from.  (This isn't a
problem with netbsd-*, but there are quite a few clueless folks
running mailing lists that never configure their systems to reset the
envelope from to point to their list-admin address.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht  		<wolfgang+gnus@spam.free.or.die.wsrcc.com>
http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/