Subject: Re: 2G JAZ good idea?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1998 23:48:56
>I was thinking of getting a 2G JAZ drive to provide build room for
>big projects.  Though a colleague just gave me the impression that
>they can be pretty unreliable.

If you are going to buy a 2G JAZ, ensure that it has firmware that will
perform tagged queuing correctly.  The drives are not flash-able, and the
first units did not have tagged queuing support.  When I talked to the
Iomega folks at NAB, they indicated that tagged support was coming out
in the June time frame.

>The alternative is a 4G barracuda for half the price though I'm
>concerned about the heat it might generate.

A recent 4G barracuda will not generate much heat at all.  It was the
early barracudas that had heat problems.

--
Justin