Subject: Re: How fast is a StrongARM at 233 MHz?
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/1998 17:10:13
[The following will be a mostly off-topic rc5 thing. Procede if you care.]

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On May 21, David Brownlee wrote:

> > 	I've tried running the rc5des from www.distributed.net on a 233Mhz
> > 	DNARD system, among others, and the numbers were:

>   It's more than that...Using the rc5 stuff as any sort of benchmark
> is a very bad idea.  In day-to-day use, as you've stated above, an IPX
> blows the doors off a 486, yet the 486 gets better rc5 rates.  Here's
> an excerpt from distributed.net's rc5 faq that explains why:

So maybe I'm jumping into this conversation a month or so too late, but
I'm just now catching up on my backlog of current-users messages.  I've
got this whole herd of VAXen (with hardware 32bit rotate instructions
nontheless) just dying to run rc5 clients.  Mr. Brownlee has been
bothering me about this for a while now, so I figured that I could maybe
appease his requests.  During the last big rc5 challenge (last
summer/fall) I had access to the v1.0 client source which though less
optimized was still usable in the challenge.  My MicroVAX II generated
some very impressive key rates, on the order of serveral hundred keys/s
:-)  (notice thats "keys" not "kkeys").

At that time I tried to get the distributed.net people to provide me
access to the v2 client source so I could compile it for NetBSD/vax but
they didn't seem to keen on my request for the most part.  They basically
ignored me.

So one question would be, how did say... the NetBSD/arm32 people go about
getting support for the rc5 client on their hardware?

-brian.
---