Subject: Re: NIS and split passwords
To: Aaron Benner <abenner@filament.physics.montana.edu>
From: Mats O Jansson <maja@cntw.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/02/1998 00:22:59
On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Aaron Benner wrote:

> The probelm we've run into is with rpc.yppasswdd, or at least with it's
> conception of where the password file is at.  On the sun we were using for
> an NIS master it was possible to have the NIS password file separate from
> the /etc/*passwd* files.  This meant we were not exporting things like
> root passwords and system accounts.
>
> With NetBSD's yppasswdd, however, the program can only "see" the
> /etc/*passwd* files.

OpenBSD has a -d switch to rpc.yppasswdd to allow another directory than
/etc. It shouldn't be to hard to move that code to NetBSD since both are
based on my code...

I had plans for that feature when I wrote the code, but problems to decide
how to solve problems with libutil made me leave it out...

The code is available via http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.

> Any help would be appreciated.
> Aaron

-moj