Subject: NIS and split passwords
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron Benner <abenner@filament.physics.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/1998 15:52:42
Hello all,

I'm running NetBSD-1.3.2 on a p133, and we're trying to migrate our master
NIS server from another machine to the NetBSD box.

The probelm we've run into is with rpc.yppasswdd, or at least with it's
conception of where the password file is at.  On the sun we were using for
an NIS master it was possible to have the NIS password file separate from
the /etc/*passwd* files.  This meant we were not exporting things like
root passwords and system accounts.

With NetBSD's yppasswdd, however, the program can only "see" the
/etc/*passwd* files.

I was wondering if anyone had/has gotten around this.  I have tried
recompiling rpc.yppasswdd, within which I redefined _PATH_PASSWD and
_PATH_MASTERPASSWD to point to the new location.  It didn't work because
yppasswdd only uses those #defines when it's opening the password file.
I'm guessing that it uses some other library call to actually lock/write
the password file, which means I've blown up our password file at least
once :)

Any help would be appreciated.
Aaron