Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.3.2
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/1998 09:36:31
On Sun May 31 22:32:27 1998, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 1998 at 03:48:39PM -0400, Rick Kelly wrote:
> > David Brownlee said:
> >
> > The machine will only have NetBSD.
> >
> > real geom: 3956 cyl 19 hds 111 sec
> > BIOS geom: 1024 cyl 19 hds 111 sec
> >
> > The BIOS set shows "virus warning" turned off.
> >
> > The offset of the 'a' partition is 0 and the size is 60 megs.
> >
> > Sysinst will only let me enter 1024 cyl 19 hds 63 sec as the
> > useable geometry,
>
> This is the case where sysinst gets the BIOS geometry wrong; it happens
> with SCSI controllers. It does its best given the circumstances, but..

Not only with SCSI. I had the same problem yesterday with the IDE controller
in my notebook.

Sysinst reported this:

real geom: 6304 cyl 16 hds 63 sec
BIOS geom: 1024 cyl 16 hds 63 sec

But I saw this values when I enter the BIOS Setup:

BIOS geom: 788 cyl 128 hds 63 sec

So I changed the sysinst values to match the bios values and it worked.

Bernd