Subject: Re: Sendmail and licensing (fwd)
To: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/1998 20:28:23
Don Lewis writes:
> Some limitations of the new filtering capabilities are that you can't
> filter on the message body or comments in the headers.  This doesn't
> allow you to filter out spam injected by UUNET or Compu$pam dialin
> ports and relayed through a third party since that information is
> stuffed inside ()'s.

Actually there is a set of patches by Jan Krueger that allows one to
dive down into the "Received by" stack and ferret out any relayed
uunet spam.  I regularly bounce stuff sent via *.da.uu.net that has
been through one or more relays by the time it hits here.

> There's also the question of what to do about spam that has been
> sent by way of a mail list that you subscribe to.  Rejecting the
> mail based on the envelope is safe because it has been sanitized
> by passing through the list, but if you reject the message based
> on the headers or the body, you'll incur the wrath of the list
> owner by bounce any spam to his mailbox.

Yup.  I just got bumped off of port-i386 again for bouncing spam back.
I'm going to have to figure out how to reign in my dogs of war a bit.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
	  Never trust a program you don't have sources for.