Subject: Re: pppd changes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1998 07:28:10
>> In a side note, if you don't already have it set, doing "asyncmap 0"
>> should speed up your PPP connection (assuming your link can handle
>> those characters).  I'm not sure by how much, though.

> On average, it would cut down the number of characters actually
> transmitted by 32/(256+32)=1/9 for binary transfers, nothing at all
> for text files (which have no control characters).

You're making two assumptions that I think are invalid.

(1) You're assuming a flat frequency distribution of octets during
binary transfers - this is likely to be approximately true if the data
are compressed, but lots of binary transfers aren't.

(2) You're completely ignoring the non-payload portions of the packets.
IP and TCP headers have distinctly non-flat statistics when looked at
as octet streams.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca