Subject: Re: XFree86 Windows & File Manager
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Bentley <peter.bentley@nomura.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/1998 14:45:57
> Now that I got XFree86 going, I'm looking for a Windows Manager.  What do
> you recommend?  fvwm?  I've seen AfterStep and it looks pretty nice.  Had
> a NeXt Cube once.  How about a file manager?

Window managers are like text editors are like OSes are like...well you
get the idea, everybody likes theirs and thinks the rest suck.

Having said that, if you liked your NeXT then you might want to look at
WindowMaker (www.windowmaker.org)...I find it more NeXT-like than
Afterstep (it has a pretty reasonable dock clone), as well as being
reasonably small and fast.

There are pointers from various WindowMaker web pages to various
NeXT-alike file managers too, but I've never tried any of them.

Pete.