Subject: IMPORTANT: toolchain moving to binutils
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/1998 16:08:17
The last bug in ar/ranlib has been quashed, and "make build" succeeds.
So...

I've committed Makefile and distrib changes which disable the "old" Berkeley
a.out object manipulation programs (ar, nm, ranlib, size, strings), and
enable the "new" binutils-based tools for all platforms including a.out and
ELF.  That means that the utilities addr2line, c++filt, and objdump will now
be compiled and installed by default.

However, do note that strip is still the old Berkeley utility, until such
time as the a.out output works properly (in work).  And objcopy, which uses
the same functions as strip, is not yet installed.

The old utilities still reside in src/usr.bin, as I don't want to kill them
until I've verified that they work properly on all ports.

Please report any problems you have directly to me (though feel free to Cc:
the tech-toolchain list).