Subject: Re: followup: /dev/adb and /dev/grf0 and security
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/21/1998 16:03:57
[Reply to article on port-mac68k]

In article <l03110706b18a0ad0608a@[204.71.8.133]>,
Rolf Braun <rbraun@cstone.net> wrote:
> I read the man page for ttyaction(5) and created a /etc/ttyaction file as
[...]
> If anyone likes the above solutions, I'd also recommend a cleanup sequence
> in /etc/rc.local or /etc/rc as follows:

I've been thinking it'd be a good idea to have a ttyaction(1) command to
invoke actions on lines from shell scripts. If you wanted to do
something like the above, you could insert calls to "ttyaction ttyname
login root" in /etc/rc.*, and keep the action configuraton of the lines
all in one place, in th /etc/ttyaction file.

I don't know if the above use is really needed (I don't think so --
getty should handle it when it starts up), but maybe I'm missing
something. The use I was thinking of was to put a call to ttyaction(1) in
the xdm {Take,Give}Console scripts, for those whould would like to
manage that kind of thing all in one place.

A ttyaction(1) should be pretty easy to write -- doesn't need to do much
beyond parse the command line and call ttyaction(3). Anyone interested
in such a thing? If so, I'll whip one up.

Also, on a somewhat related note would someone please look at PR's
4638 and 4647? Thanks.