Subject: Re: How fast is a StrongARM at 233 MHz?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/21/1998 00:04:20
	I'd suggest asking on port-arm32.

	I've tried running the rc5des from www.distributed.net on a 233Mhz
	DNARD system, among others, and the numbers were:

	Machine		CPU     MHz	OS	rc5 Kkeys/sec
	Sun IPX		sparc	 40	1.3.1	 30
	Digital Hinote	486/DX	 50	1.3.1	 49
	Dell		Pentium	133	1.3.1	189
        Thinkpad 560	Pentium	133	1.3.1	189
	PC Clone	PentMMX	200	1.3.1	260
	DNARD(arm32)	SA-110  233	1.3	289

	These are pure CPU numbers (for example the IPX is faster using
	X than the Hinote, which this does not show), and the SA-110 does
	not have any hardware FP, but in the CATS board I'd expect it to
	be none to shabby (modulus any specific NetBSD/arm32 issues).

	While I'm here, if you're not running the distributed.net client
	on your NetBSD box, why not? Check out :)

		http://www.distributed.net/rc5

		David/absolute

    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde