Subject: Re: New IDE system: first pass
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/1998 14:09:33
At 11:08 -0700 5/20/98, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

>Treat broken as broken.  There are enough non-broken PCI IDE
>controllers in existence that it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I agree that we should treat broken as broken (I just attached a Pioneer
CD-ROM changer that does its magic with LUNs - it appears as six CD-ROM
drives; if, as you pointed out, NetBSD SCSI LUN support were turned off
because of the number of devices that don't do it right, I'd be SOL).

However, I believe that it is important for us to document which hardware
is known to be broken, and which is known to work. This is important for
people who are buying hardware to run NetBSD on; given the choices that are
available, it is important to have the information to be able to choose
wisely.

	Erik <fair@clock.org>