Subject: Re: Ban the Spammer (hey that rhymes) RE: For Your Use (fwd)
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: None <tooleym@douglas.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/1998 17:21:14
> Michael Graff writes:
> > How hard would it be to add this to qmail?  I can't imagine it is that
> > hard,
>
> > and I also can't imagine that filtering on "From " or "From:" can
> > really catch spam...  people will just list lamer@aol.com or
> > evenlamer@msn.com there.
>
> The phoney "from" or "from: " detection is a cheap kill.  So is the
> detection of the "X-UIDL", "X-PMDL", "Comments: autenticated sender is
> <ha-ha>" etc.  I'm not sure why spammers are stupid enough to tag
> their spam as spam, they just are.  I'm willing to make use of it to
> rid myself of it.

Perhaps the fact that the original sender is not in the mail gateway's
domain or even close to it (as in the case of almost all the spam I've
received through this list and other NetBSD lists) can be used as a sign.
Then, a more thorough check can be performed. This way a cursory glance is
all that is needed at first, with only a very small percentage of the
mails which are passed through going through the detailed (procmail?)
check.

Oop..  here comes another. Oh boy..  a dental plan. Just what I wanted.

Marc Tooley
tooleym@douglas.bc.ca