Subject: Re: dynamic loading & shared libs ?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 05/12/1998 20:26:33
Ty Sarna wrote:
> In article <199805121512.RAA27042@saruman.ics.muni.cz>,
> Jaromir Dolecek  <dolecek@ics.muni.cz> wrote:
> > At least two packages (python, py-Numeric) and still-not-commited
> > py-readline, py-Tk & py-readline explicitly list alpha, mips
> > & powerpc as architectures where dynamic loading doesn't work.
>
> I took that from the Perl package, which had the same thing. It sounded
> wrong (what about VAX, for example?), but when I asked I was told it was
> correct. <shrug>

perl pkgsrc doesn' have it anymore -- is it handled directly by
perl-5.0040 ? If dynamic loading really works on mips & alpha
(it has same interface as on "a.out" systems, I hope) , python pkg
should be changed to take advantage of it (and needed changes should be
committed to Guido). I looked at it and it's really easy -- just a small
change to configure script is needed.

Anyway, in bsd.pkg.mk, mips, alpha & powerpc STILL use PLIST-md.static.
XXX comments says alpha can be removed once perl known how to do
dynamic loading.  This seems like a really clumsy hack -- why there
is not just a perl patch, which would learn perl how to do dynamic
that there are some REAL big problems with DSO. It seems to not be
the case, so it's nonsence to keep alpha (and possibly mips) on
list of "static" archs. Do I miss something ? hubertf ?

--
Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>	http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?