Subject: Re: cpu cycle server machine
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/1998 01:03:39
[ On Mon, May 11, 1998 at 05:52:11 (+0100), Ronald Khoo wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: cpu cycle server machine
>
> So either:
>
> 	a) You're talking about a measure of performance that SPECint95
> 	   fails to measure

In my estimation SPECint95 is basically useless as an overall system
performance guideline.  SPECrate is somewhat better for general purpose
Unix computing environments -- at least it seems to be a closer match to
the real-world performance I've observed in software development
environments.  Of course SPECrate takes into account more of the entire
system, and not just the CPU, so you do have to look at it in a
different context.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>