Subject: Re: HTML documentation and such
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1998 18:19:47
In article <v03110702b1768bc53644@[198.68.110.2]>,
> 1. a naming convention for the files & formats. Right now, if it's in
> /usr/share/man/man?/ and ends in
> 	0	-	assume preformatted
> 	1-9	-	nroff -man (magic happens to get mdoc or man)
> 	.gz	-	uncompress?
>
> should we add ".html" to that? If we don't want to overload the man
[...]
> 2. interpreters - if we're going to accept HTML documentation, we need to
> include an interpreter (e.g. lynx, netscape, ie) with the base system. Or
> should we "preformat" pages like nroff?

Hmmm...  this is going a bit further than I intended.  I don't want to
convert any existing docs (except on-the-fly by httpd), and I think
including a WWW browser in the base package (even lynx) is overkill,
especially since we have pkgsrc.  (Although a lynx-based sysinst would
be Way Cool)

Maybe what we should do is not include the xntpd HTML docs in the OS
proper, but make a package out of them following whatever conventions
are settled on for pkgsrc HTML docs?

I don't want NetBSD to get too bulky.  I like that it's modular and can
be installed in minimal configurations.  But it would be nice if it
could also be easily installed in a more complete fashion that is
presently possible...  a kind of user-oriented "NetBSD Workstation"
configuration, where it could be installed such that it came OOTB with
X, a nice desktop, a web browser, and Web-accessible docs (and maybe
even configuration) to the maximum extent possible.  Not that this is
going to happen overnight, but figuring out how best to handle whatever
HTML docs we already have is a (very) small step towards this.