Subject: Re: HTML documentation and such
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1998 14:56:08
Two things to think about right away, then:

1. a naming convention for the files & formats. Right now, if it's in
/usr/share/man/man?/ and ends in
	0	-	assume preformatted
	1-9	-	nroff -man (magic happens to get mdoc or man)
	.gz	-	uncompress?

should we add ".html" to that? If we don't want to overload the man
directories, then what naming convention and 'whatis' conventions shall we
use for HTML documentation? /usr/share/doc/<program or software>/*.html
(with "index.html" as default)?

2. interpreters - if we're going to accept HTML documentation, we need to
include an interpreter (e.g. lynx, netscape, ie) with the base system. Or
should we "preformat" pages like nroff?

	Erik <fair@clock.org>