Subject: Re: HTML documentation and such
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1998 16:02:05
[I'm using a new news2mail gateway...  I've tested as best I can locally
and it seems to be fine, but please let me know ASAP if you see any
misbehavior!]

In article <199805061959.VAA12055@saruman.ics.muni.cz>,
Jaromir Dolecek  <dolecek@ics.muni.cz> wrote:
> Sounds goot (though I like .../html/ more that uppercase ;).

I'd much prefer just /usr/share/doc/html too, but we need something
equivalent under /usr/pkg for that stuff, and since there's already
precedent...

> Other thing I was thinking about -- it would be nice to have available
> all the {info|html} documentation for such things like gcc.
> IMHO ideal would be some documentation-only package, such as gcc-doc
> or something like this.  Man surely won't need this on every system
> around ...

Yes. I've wanted to make the Python html docs a package too, but we need
to sort out the location issue first.

Ideally, I'd like enough packages of docs and converters and such that
it's trivial for anyone to have ALL the availible documentation on their
system (man pages, info files, native html docs, other /usr/share/doc
stuff) availible via HTTP. Maybe even have the Apache pkg default
configs set up to serve /usr{,/pkg}/share/doc/<whatever> as
http://localhost/netbsd{,/pkg}.

It'd be great if less knowledgeble people could install NetBSD and with
just a few extra questions answered during install be able to browse
all docs on their system.