Subject: NIS and security
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/1998 17:43:48
Hi,

I know this is not absolutely the right forum for this question,
but I didn't know, where else to ask, so here I go:

Is is possible to exclude a certain range of user ids from
being imported through NIS? Let's say on my netbsd-host
I want to be sure that the user ids 0 to 99 are only used
from the local password file, not through NIS. But I also
want to allow other user ids above 100 to log into my machine
without adding all users to my local passwd file. Is that
possible? If so, how?

Thanx for any hints,

  Guenther

P.S.: Just in case you want to know why:
If someone on the NIS server adds a user named "power"
with userid 0 he'll be able to log into my machine
as "power" and thus gains super user access to my machine.
I don't like that :-)