Subject: Re: I2O
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: current-users
Date: 04/23/1998 22:46:05
Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG> writes:

> This already tells me that I'm staying miles away from it, and
> sending a couple anti-I2O protest (read: propaganda) letters to the
> companies who have dipped into it.  If there's one thing I hate,
> it's NDA-covered "standards."

This one seems to be specifically designed to enable Microsoft and
Intel to decide who gets to play in their sandbox, and who doesn't.
Part of that is, of course, to lock out all the Open Source systems,
especially Linux, but another effect that is obviously intended is for
computer manufacturers to start building hardware that Microsoft can
decide which operating systems will be able to run on.

I don't know who I despise more: Microsoft or their customers.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"