Subject: Re: I2O
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 04/23/1998 15:16:48
On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

: www.i2osig.org

: I don't have time right now (and probably not ever 8-) to read their
: membership agreement document, and some of the relevant documents you
: have to agree to before you can become a member don't appear to even
: be on the web.

>From the NDA for non-members:

=====

AGREEMENT, 2.(b).

Limited Use.  The Recipient shall not use the Confidential Information, or
any part or derivative thereof, except for the limited purpose of enabling
Recipient to evaluate whether Recipient wishes to apply for membership in
I2O SIG. ... In addition, Recipient shall not reverse engineer the
Confidential Information in any manner.

=====

This already tells me that I'm staying miles away from it, and sending a
couple anti-I2O protest (read: propaganda) letters to the companies who have
dipped into it.  If there's one thing I hate, it's NDA-covered "standards."

Paying fees to get printed standards (IEEE-style) which can be used freely
is one layer of annoyance already; not being able to use the "standard"
freely is several hundred layers more.