Subject: Re: I2O
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.bevc.blacksburg.va.us>
List: current-users
Date: 04/23/1998 15:03:21
> On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:36:47 -0500 (CDT)
>  "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net> wrote:
>
>  > I thought that was an open standard?  Haven't read much about it.
>
> Last I heard, it required signing a nasty NDA to get the spec, and they
> were being extremely choosy about whom they let even sign the NDA.

According to http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/5343.html
parties who develop support for it are forbidden to release the source
code, we could only do it if NetBSD, Inc kept the source and included the
binaries in the snapshots.

-- From the article --
Because software development for I2O peripherals
is forbidden for nonmembers, the US$5,000 yearly
membership dues will put individuals and small
organizations out of the game. Members
themselves are not permitted to disclose their
source code, and Microsoft has veto power to drop
any organization from the SIG. This makes a grim
scenario for independent programmers.
-- End quoted text --

If we were GPL'd we couldn't do a thing with it as it's (IMHO) designed
to forbid Linux from touching it.

jf
--
John Franklin