Subject: vmstat output is wrong
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/1998 13:35:58
Hello,

I have noticed what appears to be a bug in the output from the vmstat
program and would like to know if people running -current have the same
problem and also if this is present on the other platforms.

First, according to the man page for vmtat, part of the information that
vmstat shows is a "Breakdown of percentage usage of CPU time." However,
when I run vmstat on NetBSD 1.3/i386, I see output like this under the
cpu section:

 cpu
 cs us sy id
 57 64  2 34
 87  1  0 99
 75  2  2 96
 77  5  2 94
121 12  7 80
 28  0  0 99

Why does each row under the cpu section not add up to 100%? When I run
vmstat on the AIX workstations at my office the values under the cpu
section do add up to 100%. However, I did notice that vmstat on a Sun
workstation returns strange values too:

      cpu
  cs us sy id
 270 19  8 73
1098 10 14 76
1115  3 16 81
 791  9 13 78
1334  6 26 68

What makes NetBSD different??

Thanks,

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens Energy & Automation, Inc. |          : bstark@empros.com      |
| Power Transmission & Distribution |                                   |
| 7225 Northland Drive              | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Brooklyn Park, MN 55428   USA     | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |