Subject: problems calling pppd in /etc/netstart
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1998 20:37:37
OK, it's probably something stupid, but I can't for the life of me
figure out why this isn't working.  I have a Solaris machine named
"bullball" and I use it as a console to my PC532 "bullbox".  The
PC532 does not have a network, so I use the other Sun serial port
as a PPP line.  It works fine if I type "pppd call bullball" from
the command line once the machine is up.  And although I get these
lines from the startup:

     configuring network interfaces:.
     starting pppd: bullball.
     starting system logger

The PPP line is not started, and I can't ping across the line.  Of
course, as soon as I start it manually...  I looked though
/etc/netstart and it looks OK to me, and I obviously set the PPP
peers variable in /etc/rc.conf.

Any hints, suggestions, or pitfalls?

Jon