Subject: Make depend failure in egcs/cc1plus
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1998 11:16:42
Does anyone else see this behavior:

priapus# pwd
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs/cc1plus
priapus# make depend
grep '^#define[         ]*YYEMPTY' parse.c >>parse.h
grep: parse.c: No such file or directory
*** Error code 2

Stop.
priapus# cat /etc/mk.conf
UVM=yes
PMAP_NEW=yes
USE_EGCS=1
priapus#

This happened during a 'make build', so I'm pretty sure the proper
things have been updated before I get to this point.  My workaround
is to curse a bit and then either copy parse.c into this directory or
just 'echo \#define YYEMPTY -1 > parse.c', but I'm sure this isn't the
appropriate thing to do.

I started using EGCS sometime after April 8, and I followed these steps
from Todd Vierling's message to current-users on that date:

  The following procedure will give you a quicker upgrade path to egcs:
  * Add USE_EGCS=1 to /etc/mk.conf.
  * Build and install src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs.
  * Rebuild and install src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs/libgcc.
  * Clean out /usr/include/g++.
  * "make build".  (Or at least make src/gnu/lib/{libf2c,libstdc++}.)

The make build failed then, and it's continued to fail.  I can send-pr
this if it's appropriate (I have it ready to go, but I thought I'd check
to see if anyone else has this problem.)

Chad Mynhier