Subject: Re: egcs problem on m68k with -m68060
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 04/17/1998 19:27:16
On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Jeremy Cooper wrote:

: > All went well, until I tried to compile libc with my own COPTS=-O2 -m68060.
: > I got the following errors:
:
: > /var/tmp/cc07347a.s: Assembler messages:
: > /var/tmp/cc07347a.s:51: Error: "instruction/operands mismatch" -- Statement 'fdm
: > ovel a0@(d0:l),fp0' ignored

: The problem you are experiencing is not due to egcs, it's due to an old
: version of gas (the GNU assembler.)  Egcs is generating assembly
: instructions that your gas doesn't recognize.  It could be that we haven't
: a version of gas in the tree that supports these instructions whatsoever.

This is precisely the problem: our ancient gas doesn't know 68060 addressing
modes.  There's work in progress to port binutils 2.8.1 (and successively
2.9) to the a.out platforms of NetBSD.  Expect an announcement of such
hopefully within a couple weeks or so.