Subject: pkgsrc again.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/1998 04:36:30
Following my exhortation to you all yesterday to remember to update the
package-related *.mk files, please forget what I wrote - I have today
changed the whole pkgsrc tree to use the package-related mk files in
the pkgsrc tree, which means that you do not have to install any files
before trying to use the pkgsrc tree.

I apologise to any of you who have to pay for the transmission costs of
the source-changes list across a slow modem.

To reflect the fact that this is the NetBSD packages collection,
bsd.port.mk has been renamed to bsd.pkg.mk, and bsd.port.subdir.mk to
bsd.pkg.subdir.mk.

The individual package Makefiles have been modified to

	.include "../../mk/bsd.pkg.mk"

so the bsd.pkg*.mk files in the pkgsrc tree will be used
automatically. Thus no installation of package-related makefiles is
necessary.

Matthias Scheler also reminded me that an updated
src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk is necessary if you are using a -current pkgsrc
tree on a 1.3 system. The updated bsd.own.mk is in 1.3.1.

I'm sorry about the extensive changes, but we are now in a much better
situation - the pkgsrc tree is now always in sync with bsd.pkg.mk
and bsd.pkg.subdir.mk files, and we can thus co-ordinate any changes
easily. People can make distributions, picking up a -current pkgsrc
(always assuming that you follow Matthias' advice above).

Please could you report any bugs using send-pr, in the normal way.
(I don't foresee any, but you never know).

Thanks,
Alistair