Subject: Wierd routing problem....
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1998 14:05:13
As always, I have stumped the rest of the "Experts".  I once again need
your help.

I have recently installed two Frame Relay circuits (Osicom Routermates)
through a single FRAD here in the server room.  The local frad has
204.248.22.1 as it's address.  The remotes are 204.248.21.21 and
204.248.21.25, with the appropriate routes, etc. set up to them in the
Cisco and on the other routers in the system.

None of my NetBSD boxes can seem the remotes.  I watched the traffic,
and the ARP requests go out, but the Osicom can't (won't?) respond with
the "IHAVE" one would expect.  If I establish a server-based static
route, traffic flows smoothly.

The really spooky part: the Winblows boxes on the same net CAN see the
remotes.  I think I've figured out why, see if this makes any sense:

1)  The 95 machines don't do Classless routing.  They all live on the
same network as the router.  When they want to transfer the traffic to
the remote, the send it to the router instead of direct onto the local
Ethernet (* obvious ignorance check - does this make sense?).  Since the
router has a valid route to the remotes, the traffic is bounced to the
remotes through the local Osicom.  I think I can simulate the same
facility by NOT using the 22 bit subnet mask my NetBSD machines use -
this screws a bunch of stuff up, but it might work.

The question is:

Instead of using a 24 bit subnet mask or a bunch of static routes on all
of the servers, is there a program that will announce the route from the
local net to the remote net for the Osicom?  I'm thinking something like
a proxy-rarp (or proxy i-have) server, maybe?  I really am not sure what
I'm asking for, but suggestions would sure be appreciated.
--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom