Subject: Re: bin/5257: newlfs problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex Hayward <alex@hayward.u-net.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/1998 13:39:27
On Sun, 5 Apr 1998 jam@pobox.com wrote:
> >Number:         5257
> >Category:       bin
> >Synopsis:       newlfs doesn't work
[snip]
> >How-To-Repeat:
> Run newlfs on an enought large partition.
> There are 2 problems in newfs. One is the writing not aligned data to
> character device.  The other is the using "int" instead of "off_t".

Actually, looking at things it seems that the padding in struct lfs in
/usr/include/ufs/lfs/lfs.h is incorrect---the struct is padded to 524
bytes instead of 512. Changing the padding to 37 int_32s instead of 40
allowed newlfs to run apparently properly.

I still can't get the filing system to actually function, though... I've
recompiled the kernel but part way through copying the files on to it I
get a kernel panic. Unfortionately I don't have the details at the
moment. Am I likely to have broken something, is it a known problem in lfs
or should I send-pr it?